Have you been trying to find the best type of fabric for your blackout curtains but aren’t sure what the best option is to use? Are you unfamiliar with how many fabrics for blackout curtains are used out there? Today, we will be looking at all of the options for fabrics when it comes to choosing the right one for your curtains. So, let’s get right into it and see which is the best fabric for blackout curtains!
- Looking for blackout fabrics can be a difficult task, as overall the production of fabrics for this use is scarce as there are not many options out there.
- The main types of fabrics used in the production of blackout curtains are the following fabrics: Blackout fabric, Polyester, Microfibers, and Nylon.
- The best type of fabric for these types of curtains is the specifically designed blackout curtain fabric which meets all of the required needs for this type of curtain.
- Nylon is the least used and least practical out of all of these choices, usually used as a last resort.
What type of blackout fabrics for curtains are there?
There aren’t many options out there when it comes to choosing the right fabric for blackout curtains, however, you can find a few fabrics that can surely be used in the production of curtains. Why is it so important to use a specific type of fabric?
Well, in regards to how much denser these types of fabrics need to be, using fabrics that are thicker and don’t allow for any sunlight to come through can be difficult, especially since there are many fabrics out there that are considered see-through and transparent to some degree.
Due to the limited options we have, when it comes to curtains, there only exists a few varieties of fabrics out there, such as:
- Blackout fabric – As the name suggests, this fabric is specifically designed for blackout materials such as curtains. It is designed with a thicker layer of a specifically designed type of fabric to be able to block out any coming light through.
- Microfiber fabric – This type of fabric is made with small individual fibers that are connected to each other in a way that would create a curtain as a whole. Due to them being constructed in a specific way, these types of curtains are not the best when it comes to fully blacking out your rooms, especially since the fibers can allow small lights to come through.
- Polyester fabric – Great when it comes to making an extremely durable and absorbent type of blackout curtain, however, this fabric is not the best when it comes to fully blocking out your sunlight
- Nylon fabric – similar to polyester, these types of fabrics aren’t the greatest option, but they do serve great durability and elasticity when it comes to curtains.
What sets these fabrics apart
As the scarceness of blackout fabrics tends to affect how commonly they are used, the above-mentioned fabrics can provide their users with great blackout curtains for saving electricity and overall keeping a better environment. Blackout curtains even though are not very commonly used are a great benefit to many features out there, however, due to their uncommon use, they aren’t very practiced amongst consumers The following fabrics have these traits:
Yes, there is in fact a fabric specifically designed for the production of blackout curtains. Due to their very specific needs when it comes to fully darken their home environment, blackout curtains are designed to specifically prevent light from coming through and being absorbent and elastic. These fabrics will easily fix any issues without any further work needed. Make sure you read the blog on whether you can iron blackout curtains.
This fabric is made of small fibers being put together, which as a result creates this type of fabric. Overall due to the possibility of this fabric not fully blocking out any sunlight that may come through, it is not the best option for curtains, however, it is still a great alternative. You can also read the differences between microfiber and cotton underwear.
Polyester is known to be very durable when it comes to creating any sort of curtains out there, this type of fabric used in blackout curtains will leave your curtains lasting for longer periods of time. Polyester is also a great moisture absorbent, meaning that any and all moister will be absorbed if in contact with these types of blackout curtains.
Nylon, with similar qualities as polyester, leaves your curtains very flexible and durable at the same time. Although not very absorbent to moisture, nylon is also more susceptible to allowing the light source to come through when in regard to blackout curtains. This is a great last alternative option, but should never be considered the best option when looking through these types of curtains.
Which one of these should I use for blackout curtains?
I think it’s fairly obvious which is the clear winner when it comes to these types of curtain fabrics, as a fabric specifically designed just for blackout curtains is the clear winner due to how well it is adapted to its specific need.
The blackout curtain fabric is a completely diverse type of fabric that has been specifically developed to fit these types of needs. It has been designed to clear out the complete light source, making itself thicker and better to block out any unneeded lighting. Apart from that, it has many properties such as durability, practicality, and the ability to absorb any moisture with ease.
Even though a lot of these fabrics are essentially a combination to create this one specific fabric, its overall usage is extremely useful as it meets every single standard for a blackout curtain in general.
The other fabrics in question are great alternatives when you cannot find this type of fabric available. However, it is strongly recommended you use blackout curtain fabric if you want to have the best results to fully black out your environment when needed.