While enjoying the process of creating certain types of projects, you could be met with a stroke of bad luck if you get glue on your clothing. Luckily, there are easy ways to remove the glue from fabrics which can eliminate the appearance of stains and avoid damage on the garment.
By taking the steps to ensure that the glue will not leave a stain, your clothing will be as good as new. For those that don’t want to stick around until the end of the article, here’s a quick solution on how to get glue out of clothing.
A sticky substance that is used for various different projects such as glue can be removed from clothing by using a liquid laundry detergent for small residues, acid solvents for more stubborn stains or consulting a dry cleaner if the stains are impossible to remove on your own.
- Certain glue stains can be easily removed by washing with a liquid laundry detergent.
- Stubborn and solid glue residue is recommended to be treated with solvents that contain acid.
- There are special glue removing solvents for clothing and they are effective if used in a proper manner.
- Apart from special solvents, there are ways to use acid at home to remove glue out of clothing such as vinegar and nail polish remover.
- Delicate fabrics that have glue stains on them are recommended to be treated in the hands of dry cleaning services.
- Easy Ways for Getting Glue Out of Clothing
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Final Words
Easy Ways for Getting Glue Out of Clothing
There are several easy ways to help you get the glue out of your clothing. However, the harshness of the glue depends on its type. Certain types of glue, such as super glue can seem impossible to remove on your own because of its strength and firmness.
Taking good care of your clothing and removing the stains in a proper way can ensure the quality retention of the pieces as well as avoiding the consequence of the color fading.
Liquid Laundry Detergent
Liquid detergents are used to get the clothing cleaned while at the same time ensuring its freshness retention.
To remove glue from clothing by using a liquid detergent, first make sure to leave the glue to dry on your clothing because it is easier to remove and this would also avoid spreading the glue throughout the whole piece. After the glue has dried, use a brush to remove it by gently brushing on the piece of clothing until it is out completely. Next, soak the piece of clothing in cold water and add liquid laundry detergent to it.
Certain laundry detergents are suitable for machine washing and also hand washing. In this case, it is better to do it by hand to ensure that you give the proper attention to the affected area where the glue was spilled.
Oftentimes, simply washing the clothing will not ensure the complete removal of the glue. In this incident, solvents that contain acid in them are usually used.
You can safely do this at home by buying solvents that are made specifically for removing glue from clothing. The instructions on these products usually clearly explain the process and what exactly you need to do in order to successfully remove the glue out of your clothing.
In addition, certain home remedies can also be used such as vinegar, nail polish remover, or denatured alcohol.
Dry Cleaning Services
Certain acid solvents can negatively affect the process of removing glue from clothing. This can happen because the pungent acidic solvent can result in color fading of the pieces of clothing, thus damaging its quality.
It is always important to be careful before applying any solvent on clothing and carefully read the label on the piece. Due to the risk of discoloration and immensely stubborn stains that leave a residue no matter how hard you try to get them out, a dry cleaner can be consulted.
Dry cleaners offer the best solutions for any clothing mishap and they know the best ways to take care of your clothing.
What to Avoid When Trying to Get Glue Out of Clothing
If you choose to try and get the glue out of clothing by yourself, there are certain things to keep in mind and avoid in order to be successful in the process and retain the quality of your clothing.
- Harsh Scraping When you are trying to scrape down the dried glue on your clothing, make sure to not do it harshly because it may damage the fibers. Gently brush over the glue for as long as you need to.
- Applying Solvents On Gentle Fabrics – If glue happens to get on your delicate fabrics such as silk, it is not recommended to attempt and remove it on your own. Applying acid solvents on gentle fabrics can damage the fabric itself and it cannot be repaired after that.
- Not Testing the Solvents before Application – Before applying any solvent on your clothing, make sure to test it first to ensure that it does not cause discoloration. Once the solvent is directly applied to your clothing, there is no way of knowing that it will actually work.
Tips on Getting Glue out of Clothing
To ensure the easiest and most effective way of getting glue out of clothing, there are certain tips you can rely on:
- Putting the clothing item in your freezer can help you remove the glue easier afterwards.
- If you decide on applying solvents to get the glue out of your clothing, use a cloth or a cotton pad for more precise application.
- To ensure the most gentle scraping of the glue from clothing, you can use the back of the spoon.
Frequently Asked Questions
What removes dried-up glue from clothing?
To get dry glue out of clothing, it first needs to be scraped down and then washed or treated with certain types of acid solvents.
Does glue wash out of clothing?
Glue can be washed out of clothing with the use of laundry detergent directly applied to the area that needs the most attention. However, glue on certain delicate fabrics cannot be removed unless it is taken to dry cleaning services for proper treatment.
Can vinegar remove glue from clothing?
Vinegar is a liquid that contains acid which helps in the process of removing glue stains from clothing.
Spilling glue on your clothing can be frustrating, but it is comforting to know that there are proven easy ways and steps to follow in order to effectively remove it. While trying to get the glue out of clothing, the most important thing is to ensure that you are maintaining its quality in the process.
I graduated from London College of Fashion, and I’ve been working for a Fashion Design company for 10 years. My other hobbies are going to the gym and reading.