Picture this, you’re looking for a specific type of shirt to buy, but you’re stuck between getting a polo shirt or just a normal t-shirt. Don’t really know what the difference between these two types of shirts is? Well, don’t fret, as we will be looking at both differences and characteristics between both of these types of shirts.
- A standard t-shirt and a polo shirt are different as they have different features to them
- They’re made from similar materials; however, their comfort varies, as t-shirts are looser than polo shirts.
- T-shirts are very versatile and a better option when it comes to dealing with hot weather conditions.
- Polo shirts have collars on both sides of the neck, with buttons underneath them. They can also have a pocket on them.
T-shirt vs. Polo: Which is Which?
Looking at how both of these clothing items can be mistaken for each other, there are a few notable features that are standard between what identifies both of these clothing items.
You can easily tell them apart just by identifying which type of clothing item has these features, and you’ll be able to categorize them correctly so you can easily roll out the option you aren’t interested in. Sorting a difference between how both of these items identify is not difficult at all and is extremely noticeable by the eye.
If you’re looking to compare how both a polo and a t-shirt are different from each other, we can set a clear example as to how both of these clothing items are completely separate. Let’s look at all the key comparisons out there. For example, a t-shirt is usually a fitted type of clothing item with short sleeves, can be worn on any sort of casual occasion, and is usually best worn during any hot summer event.
As for polo shirts, they are similar to t-shirts, but they have a few differences as polo shirts are worn to a slightly more formal setting, they can be identified as they have collars around the neck that distinguish them, with sometimes having a button or two under the collars. Polo shirts can also have a small pocket on one side of the chest area, which can be used to hold smaller and more transportable items such as for example, a few loose pennies.
Also read a very interesting blog, alternatives to t shirts.
T-shirts, what they’re made of.
We all own several t-shirts in our homes that keep us feeling fresh during the warmer seasons or simply because wearing a loose t-shirt around our home area can be more comfortable.
Regardless, t-shirts are amazing types of clothing items that have been worn for many decades, mainly popularized due to the need to have something more comfortable and loose fit. It can be styled in many ways and can also be found in many types of materials, mainly cotton. Let’s look at the most notable traits of a t-shirt:
- Loose-fitted and extremely comfortable for warmer weather conditions.
- T-shirts come in many different sizes and shapes, and can also be made from different materials, colors, and designs. The main type of material they’re made of is cotton.
- T-shirts are usually worn for casual settings but can also be worn in different types of events if styled well.
- They possess a very simple style.
What about polo shirts?
As you may have noticed, polo shirts are a different type of shirt category on their own. They possess a few different types of traits when compared to a normal standard t-shirt.
Although they are different, they have many similar characteristics that could easily make them fall into the same type of category as each other. However, if we want to easily identify how they’re different from each other, we have to look at what key features a polo shirt has to offer. The traits that a polo shirt will offer its consumers are the following:
- Slightly tighter fitting and a little harder to put on
- Polo shirts are made from similar materials as normal t-shirts, with the exception that they are made of a harder type of cotton rather than regular t-shirts
- Polos have two very distinguishable features: they have two collars on each side of the neck, which have two buttons under them. In some cases, they also may contain a pocket on one side of the polo shirt around the chest area.
- Polo shirts come in many types of colors but are usually limited to only having up to 3 colors at a time
- Polo shirts are usually worn in a more formal setting as they are meant to be worn for formal events.
Also read about types of scarves
Who is the clear winner here?
While we looked at what makes both of these types of shirts different, we can look at which type of shirt is the best overall and what would be the best choice to make when it comes to purchasing any type of shirt overall, even though both types of shirts hold some very specific traits when it comes to how they are compared to.
Moreover, the best decision for any type of occasion (even formal in some cases) would have to be the standard t-shirt that we all love. Why exactly? Standard t-shirts have been around for several decades and have provided comfort, the ability to have a more diverse design and color pallet to them, and simply a better loose-fitting feel.
They can be styled in many ways, which they can also apply in some formal settings if correctly matched.
This is why they are the best option out there when it comes to having something comfortable, convenient, diverse, and simply a better option.
This is to say that polo shirts are also a great option for any formal occasion out there; due to them having a more elegant look to them and being more tight-fitted, they still don’t compare in the sense of comfort and versatility.
Sewing is definitely one of my biggest hobbies. I’ve been doing it since i was young, thanks to my mother. I specialize in sewing, and that’s what i mostly write about.